Guest House / B&B, 16 kilometers to this stadium ( 20 minutes drive). Tel: (011) 6803452 for bookings.
Transfers can be arranged. Click HERE for pictures and info about this accommodation.

Liberty Life Wanderers Cricket Stadium.


View Larger Map

The Wanderers Cricket Stadium is the third ground to be used for Test matches in Johannesburg. The other two were the old Wanderers (now the Johannesburg Railway Station) and the Ellis Park Rugby Stadium. Construction on the current stadium commenced in 1955. The first 1st-class match played here was on 16, 17 and 19 November 1956, between Transvaal and Natal. On 30 November 1956, Peter May's MCC side commenced a match against Transvaal, and on the second morning Brian Statham took the first hat-trick on the ground, his first victim being Gerald Ritchie, who later became the Chairman of Gauteng Cricket Board. This ground also witnessed the best Test bowling performance ever by a South African, when Hugh Tayfield took 9 for 113 in the 4th Test against England in 1956/57. The first Test match started here on the 24 December 1956, making the Wanderers Stadium the 41st ground to be used for Test cricket. The ground was used for rugby matches while the Ellis Park Rugby Stadium was being rebuilt. A rugby international between South Africa and South America was played here in 1980

Since South Africa's return to International cricket in 1991, the Liberty LifeWanderers Stadium has undergone major changes. The total amount spent to date on upgrading the stadium is in excess of R60-million. In 1991, construction began on the Centenary Pavilion, at the north or Golf-Course end of the ground. This stand was completed in November 1991. Then in April 1992, work began on the imposing Unity Pavilion, on the south, or Corlett Drive, end of the ground. This was completed in November 1992, and was officially opened on 26 November by Sir Colin Cowdrey, on the occasion of the first Test match at the ground in 22 years. The Memorial Pavilion Stand, on the north-west side of the ground, was completed in October 1994 and houses the indoor practice nets. 1995 saw work done on The Western Pavilion, which was refurbished to give it a look in line with the rest of the ground, and the Main Gate was rebuilt; now incorporating fully electronic turnstiles to give an accurate assessment of attendances. In 1996, the existing four 30-metre high floodlight masts were replaced by five new masts, each 65-metres high, enabling The Liberty Life Wanderers Stadium to see its first day/night limited-overs international (against Zimbabwe on 31 January 1997). A very popular addition to the cricket season was the introduction of night cricket. The Liberty Life Wanderers Stadium is one of the best stadiums in world cricket for such events. The pitch table has been re-laid over the past few years and currently comprises 10 pitches. A new, fully-automatic irrigation system, featuring underground pop-up sprinklers, has been installed and during November 2001, the drainage system was upgraded to the highest international standards. The playing field surface is undoubtedly the finest in world cricket. The Kent Park Taverners Pavilion, on the south-east side of the Wanderers Stadium (between the Unity Pavilion and the Open Eastern Stand), was pulled down and replaced by a new stand which houses the Taverners, public seating for about 1200 people, and features 12 corporate suites. Cost of the new pavilion was in the region of R8-million. Capacity at the Liberty Life Wanderers Stadium is around 34 000 including the occupants of the suites. The Liberty Life Wanderers Stadium has 182 suites which are leased by the top corporate companies of South Africa as Johannesburg is the financial centre of South Africa.

 

        HOME